Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tomato Plants and yellow mold?

Hi. I have two tomato plants in a pot on my balcony. I have only had to water them once since original planting about 2 weeks ago, because it has been really wet here. The rain doesn't come in at full force on the plant or get it really wet, it's just that the sun doesn't get to the plant in full force. They get indirect sun light, but not usually full force. This is because of the wood slat rail, and also a large tree that's very close to the balcony. But the problem is, I noticed a yellow chalky looking stuff all over the surface of the soil. Upon closer examination, it looks like a powdery fuzzy yellow mold. It's bright yellow, like the color of yellow sidewalk chalk. It's not on the plant itself at all, just the top of the soil. So my questions are: What is this? Is is caused by lack of sun, or something else? Should I scrape that layer or soil off? Is it going to kill my plant? Or any other advice you have about it is appreciated, thanks.

Tomato Plants and yellow mold?
It's known as "dog vomit" fungus named after it's appearance, but it's actually a member of the slime mold family. It's harmless to your plant.





Visit our website for more gardening ideas at-


http://www.gardening-at-the-crossroads.c...





Good Luck and Happy Gardening from Cathy and Neal!


No comments:

Post a Comment