Monday, February 13, 2012

I have tiny orange-green balls near my tomato plant, what are they?

I started growing a tomato plant a few weeks ago, I recently noticed a clump of less-than-pea-sized green-orange balls in the soil, what are they and should I get rid of them?

I have tiny orange-green balls near my tomato plant, what are they?
You won't like the answer.


It is Horn worm poop. Horn worms eat tomato plants like crazy, they chow the foliage, and will eat the surface of the tomatos. They blend into the plants perfectly and are hard to see until they get big. A full grown one can be 4" long.


They don't bite, so just pull them off the plants.


Don't stomp on them or get rid of them near your garden, as they drop eggs for next years generation. They can't swim, so we put them in a bucket of water and let them drown, and then dump it in a far corner, or bury them.


You can purchase Nematodes to combat them.

Hiking Shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment