Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Should I prune my tomato plants?

I have my tomato plants in cages and I have


a juliet tomato plant that is about 5 ft tall with


about 70 green tomatos so far. Do I need to prune my plant or just let them keep on growing and one I run out of cage space what to use for support? Also earlier I was pulling the branches through to the last level on the cage and the limb bent as if brokeb but was not broke what to do about the bent limb?

Should I prune my tomato plants?
If you are caging, there's no need to prune. Yes, it gets pretty dense in there but I've never had a problem ripening fruit. Maybe if you live in a near constant overcast climate, a little foliage removal might help fruit inside.





I put 2"x2" poles into my cage when I first plant, that way it can support a second cage on top later if necessary. At this point you could try adding a second tomato cate or put some stakes around the outside and wrap a fencing wire large enough to get your hand thru to pick fruit....or just lightly tie the plants to the poles. Problem will be injuring roots when you put the poles/stakes in.....oh well.





At 5' your tomato is surely an indeterminate grower! They can truly get tall.





Pruning is usually reserved for single pole training. The suckers are removed (the stems that originate between the main stem and a leaf.) For me it won't work due to my high sunlight, the fruits burn. I need the extra shade that comes with caging.


No comments:

Post a Comment