Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I live in gulfport ms, my tomato plants look wilted and leggy.?

can anyone tell me if i should pull them out of the ground or cut them back? I am new to this area and gardening if different then Ohio. Also any links to Mississippi gulfcoast gardening help would be very appreciated... ty

I live in gulfport ms, my tomato plants look wilted and leggy.?
Are you fertilizing a lot? Tomatoes don't like a lot of fertilizer. Are they in a lot of sunlight? If not watered well (but not too soggy), they'll look like that, too. On the gulf, your best bet is to plant tomatoes in pots, since the soil doesn't have the nutrients like Ohio soil does.





Try pinching back the new growth in between the existing branches. Make sure they are staked well. If they continue to look sickly, CAREFULLY remove them and put them into pots with good potting soil. Since tomatoes don't like to be transplanted, leave them in the shade a week and leave them alone, besides watering a few days, and they should perk up.
Reply:Check out the Mississippi state growing tomatoes publication below.


No comments:

Post a Comment